The Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, a Catholic Society of Apostolic Life, founded in France in 1633 by St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marrillac, for the services of poor persons, became involved in the rehabilitation of persons affected by leprosy (PALs) and their dependants (spouses and children) in 1976. The general objective of the project is to improve the quality of life of persons affected by leprosy and their dependants as well as those living with disabilities, by enhancing their potentials for empowerment, inclusion and integration into society. Our aim is to bring about disability inclusive development in the society.
At the initial stage, the rehabilitation Centre was set Up for the training and employment of persons affected by leprosy and their dependants in various skills such as Carpentry, welding, wood carving, crafts, shoemaking and the production of artificial legs and other walking aids, to enhance their capacity for economic self-reliance. Effort was also made to give the children opportunities for formal education. As time went on, and as needs arose, the Daughters of Charity expanded the Centre to cater for numerous persons with disabilities in villages and towns in parts of Edo and Delta States under the Community Based Rehabilitation Program (CBR). These include persons with visual, hearing and intellectual impairments, children with cerebral palsy and other congenital and acquired deformities, persons suffering from epilepsy and other mental heath problems etc.